Saturday, April 20, 2024

Librarian Shares How Aptitude Test Changed Her Career Path - Syracuse University

Heather Crane G’23 is an open education librarian at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University in Florida. She graduated from Syracuse’s iSchool in December with a master’s degree in Library and Information Science. Two years ago, Heather Crane decided to take a career aptitude test after feeling worn out working in retail. To her surprise, the test suggested she would make an excellent librarian. “I looked up the job requirements and realized I already had many of the same skills: customer service, instruction, inventory management, etc. All I needed was a master’s degree,” Crane said. “Being a librarian also checked off all my boxes of what I wanted out of a job: I could be good at it, it was meaningful work, it paid well enough and there was enough of a demand.” Crane is now an open education librarian at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University in Florida. In her role, she advocates for open access through the use of library resources and Open Educational Resources (OER). 

https://ischool.syr.edu/librarian-shares-how-aptitude-test-changed-her-career-path/