Thursday, April 13, 2023

Using OER for equity and more - Steve Owen, Community College Daily

I recognized the benefits of OER early on and have used it since the beginning of my teaching career. However, the turning point in my OER use occurred when I participated in Open Oregon Educational Resources’ Equity and Open Education Faculty Cohort Model in the summer of 2020. The Equity and Open Education Faculty Cohort Model is a course that guides faculty in considering open educational practices with an equity lens, including universal design, cultural relevance and diverse perspectives. When I participated in the program, I was a part-time faculty member at Lane Community College in Eugene, Oregon, and I had been looking for ways to revamp my course. While I was familiar with OER, the course filled gaps in my knowledge that I didn’t realize I had. For example, I learned about equitable design techniques that can improve the online learning experience for students with disabilities.