Tuesday, September 27, 2022

Textbook troubles: University of Calgary students want help paying for course materials - Kevin Green, CTV News

Third-year student Elizabeth Buckley, who aims to become a veterinarian, says the cost of books is tough to bear. “I think the most expensive one I bought for $250. And I think it was a chemistry textbook,” said Buckley. “It's a barrier for some people. I know that, like myself, I take out student loans, and I have to take out more student loans than what I would want to, because I don't have my own financial ability to pay for my own textbooks.” That means eventually, she will be paying interest on the loans used to buy, in part, her textbooks. A group of students at the University of Calgary is pushing for something to be done about the immense price they have to pay for textbooks and other required course materials.